Job ID: 139511406
County Jail Officer – Primary function of the position is to serve as a uniformed confinement officer empowered to enforce federal, state... and county laws as they relate to inmates. Other duties include the knowledge of modern jail concepts and standards, first aid, Self-Defense, legal rights to inmates, classification methods and procedures, as well as methods and objectives in jail rehabilitation programs and other special duties assigned by the Sheriff. Hourly positions, ranging from $15.00 – $18.61 per hour depending upon experience.
Minimum Applicant Standards and Criteria
*Must be a citizen of the United States of America.
*Applicant must be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment as a county confinement officer.
*Must be a high school graduate and produce evidence of same by the way of diploma or equivalency diploma issued to an accredited school.
*Must possess, as a minimum, visual acuity that is correctable to 20/40 in both eyes.
*Must possess a valid motor vehicle driver’s license.
*Must possess, as a minimum, auditory acuity that is within normal range in both ears.
*Applicant’s body weight must be in proportion to the applicant’s height as standardized in the criteria maintained by the LaGrange County Sheriff’s Department.
*Must be of such physical state so as to sustain the rigors and demands of a confinement officer. “Physical state” means to be in such condition and health to meet the minimum standards of a department Physical Ability Test.
*Must be of such mental state so as to sustain the rigors and demands of a confinement officer. “Mental state” means having the ability to exercise good judgment; having a balanced temperament; being free of debilitating psychological disorders and being of such psychological health to adequately complete psychological testing.
*Must be a person of excellent character having favorable references from previous employers and personal references. Excellent character includes an absence of pattern or practice of substance abuse or criminal misdemeanor convictions and no history of felony convictions.
*Have a good work history with recommendations from previous employers.
*Meet current LaGrange County Sheriff’s Department physical standards and general requirements for appointment as a confinement officer in the County of LaGrange.
*Must agree to take a lie detector test if under investigation or suspected of committing a crime.
*If discharged from military service, must possess an Honorable Discharge.
*Pass a drug test.
1. Each applicant shall complete a LaGrange County Sheriff’s Department employment application.
2. Each applicant shall complete a standardized written test.
3. Each applicant shall complete a physical ability test.
4. The top applicants with the highest aggregate score and having successfully passed the physical ability testing shall undergo a personal interview.
5. A “Conditional Offer of Employment” will be extended to the top applicants. They shall continue in the selection process by signing a medical and psychological release form. The applicants shall undergo medical and psychological testing at the expense of the department. Medical testing will assess the applicant’s visual/auditory acuity and physiological health to perform the essential functions of the position. Psychological testing will assess the applicant’s psychological health to perform the essential functions of the position.
6. Following of the completion of the physical and psychological testing, a member of the department will complete a background investigation of the applicants.
7. The successful applicants shall submit to a drug screen analysis to determine if any recent illicit drug usage by the applicants are present.
8. Following selection, a county confinement officer shall be on a probationary status during the first year of employment. As a condition of continued employment as a county confinement officer, he/she must complete the Indiana Sheriff’s Jail Academy Training Course as prescribed by the Indiana State Jail Inspector.
Selection Process Deadlines
Applications: LaGrange County Sheriff’s Dept.
Due by Monday, November 20
Physical Ability Tests: LaGrange County Sheriff’s Dept.
Written Tests: LaGrange County Sheriff’s Dept.
Interviews LaGrange County Sheriff’s Dept.
The LaGrange County Sheriff’s Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer18.61
LaGrange County Sheriff’s Department